Thursday, December 29, 2011

One Voice, One Song, One Word

Sorry for the lack of Memorable Monday these past two weeks.  It will return on New Year's Day, with an extra helping of memorable quotations!!!  Email me at musicalmom725@comcast.net if you have a good idea for this special Memorable Monday.  Do you have a saying, phrase, or quotation that can help us start 2012 off right?? 

For today, though, I've got something else I'd like to share with you: a new approach to that mile-long resolution list.  Maybe you don't do this, but I'm definitely guilty of making a huge list of resolutions.  Most of them, sadly, hit the cutting room floor a week into the new year even though my intentions are good and I desire the described changes. 

A few weeks ago, I met with our campus pastor's wife, Heather, for coffee and a chat.  She led me to the One Word website: www.myoneword.com.  The campaign has been assembled by Mike Ashcraft, leader of Port City Community Church in North Carolina.

Here's the basic premise: Instead of creating the huge resolution list, complete with failures and our guilt over them, pick one word to serve as your focus for the year.  You're not just selecting a word randomly--you're picking a word you feel God has placed in front of you, that you've prayed over, and that you've hopefully examined in the Bible before choosing.

Rest assured, you'll be challenged over your word throughout the year! The website features some great videos and stories of the word that people selected in 2011.  Regardless of what happens during the year, you look at that word differently by the end of the year.

I was really intrigued by the site and its stories, and I decided to take the challenge to select one word for 2012!  And I'm not alone--many of my close friends are signing on, as well as my Friday moms' small group!  I'm so excited to see what happens throughout the year with each of them!!

After some prayer, and a slew of words going through my head, I've decided that my word for the year is peace. I think there are several words that fit under this category for me, but peace was the overriding thought, feeling, and need I felt, and have felt for a long time.  I feel like I live in such chaos most of the time, and I almost crave a feeling of peace.  I'm not at all sure how I'll get to that feeling--I do think it will have to be a work of God...which is kind of the point.

So, are you game??  Check out the website, select a word, and post it here so we can follow and encourage each other!!!

I wish for each of us a happy, healthy, blessed, peaceful new year!!!!

2 comments:

  1. So I was thinking how daunting of a task this would be to try and sum things up in only one word. I literally looked up from typing, and there staring me right in the face was my ornament from St. Jude's. I keep it up year round. All it says is, "Believe." With everything going on in my life right now, there couldn't be a better word.

    ReplyDelete